Liven Your Space - A Resource for Healing from Mental Illness
My Blog

Getting Religion - Part XX, Starship Gremlin

So how do you find a sense of purpose and self-worth when you are a lost fake?  I bought a car.  The saved money was set aside from my paychecks. As mentally challenged as I was, I knew how to hold onto a dollar.  My only real expenses were the rent for a small apartment with rent control and a few nice clothes to supplement my uniforms. Because my work involved traveling and exploring new cities, there was no need to spend on outside entertainment. Painting and reading books from the library and an occasional purchase let me live cheaply. So in addition to having the entire price of a new car in the bank, I was able to help my mother pay the bills.

And so one day my mother and I drove the 25 miles to Manassas, stopped in at the shiny AMC dealership and I bought the car of the era, a Gremlin. Purple. And I immediately bought a bumper sticker: "Beam Me Up Scotty."  But the excitement of having my own transportation was almost outweighed by pure fear.  My mother's driving instructions enabled me to pass the test but my lack of experience combined with the heavy medication and a heavy foot ensured a feeling of instability and uncertainty on the road. I was a she-devil on wheels. Panicked but Persistent.

And now with a slightly plumper and less anorexic profile, my first adventure on my own was into the deep suburbs to find some new clothes. The fact that I found my way down I66, merged onto the inner beltway of 495 around D.C., navigated the huge Tysons Corner Mall to find several new outfits, and got home safely before dark was an accomplishment worthy of Star Trek.   With my new purple car inspiring me to get on with my life, I suddenly felt ready to "go where no one had gone before."

To Be Continued ...

6 Comments to Getting Religion - Part XX, Starship Gremlin:

Comments RSS
https://www.bestbritishwriter. on Tuesday, July 17, 2018 5:32 AM
Getting religion is a good way to understand about the religion. Religion is personal matter of everyone but the thing is that we can discuss a religion in a way or in an other way. I am sure this blog would go famous among people.
Reply to comment

loemrntdherid1 on Sunday, August 19, 2018 10:20 PM
Thanks for posting this informative article
Reply to comment

Robert E. Valerio on Monday, November 12, 2018 4:53 AM
You have posted very informative article about cars which i like reading.I have learned a lot from this post which will help me in future. gym flooring for commercial gym
Reply to comment

Robert E. Valerio on Monday, November 12, 2018 6:09 AM
This is really a great article about cars.I just want to say that i have learned a lot from this post.Keep up your good work. Shop tarpaulin covers here
Reply to comment

best academic writing service uk on Tuesday, December 11, 2018 3:53 PM
Religion parts are going to be the best thing that you guys can work on best academic writing service uk. It will be the only thing that you can see and work on and it will be great.
Reply to comment

Tuty Sumargo on Wednesday, February 06, 2019 7:48 PM
angkan. Saya tidak akan meneleponnya selama beberapa ini ke 15 pusat plat astm516 70 pusat plat boiler pusat plat hardox pusat plat hb 400 pusat plat high strenght pusat plat high tensile sm490 yb pusat plat high tensile sm490ya pusat plat kapal pusat plat stainless ss304 pusat plat stainless ss310 Agen Plat Besi Baja Jual besi Pipa sch 80 baja Jual besi beton cakra steel cs Supplier Bondek Cor Supplier Bondek Cor Distributor Plat besi Jual bondek undangan pernikahan artis Jual Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 80 Toko Plat Besi Baja Supplier besi Pipa sch 80 baja Jual besi beton bjku Toko Bondek Cor Toko Bondek Cor Distributor besi h beam Jual wiremesh undangan pernikahan anti mainstream Jual Besi Pipa Baja Schedule 40 Jual Plat Besi Baja Toko besi Pipa sch 80 baja Jual besi beton Sni Ulir Polos Agen Bondek Cor Agen Bondek Cor Distributor besi wf Jual pipa besi baja sch 40 sch 80 undangan pernikahan amplop Jual Pipa Besi Hitam Medium Harga Plat Besi Baja Agen besi Pipa sch 80 baja Jual besi beton ais Pabrik Bondek Cor Pabrik Bondek Cor Distributor wiremesh Jual besi hollow undangan pernikahan mewah Jual Besi Wf Pabrik Plat Besi Baja Pabrik besi Pipa sch 80 baja Jual besi beton Distributor Welded Beam Distributor Welded Beam Distributor besi unp Jual besi beton Sni Ulir Polos undangan pernikahan anime Jual Besi H beam Distributor Besi H beam Baja Distributor Plat Bordes Harga Welded Beam Harga Welded Beam Distributor besi cnp Jual besi wf baja undangan pernikahan elegan Jual Besi Beton Supplier Besi H beam Baja Harga Plat Bordes www.pusatbesibaja.co.id Jual Welded Beam Jual Welded Beam Distributor besi hollow Jual besi unp undangan pernikahan contoh www.sentrabesibaja.com Agen Besi H beam Baja Jual Plat Bordes www.pusatbesibaja.com Supplier Welded Beam Supplier Welded Beam Distributor besi beton Sni Ulir Polos
Reply to comment